Thursday, November 20, 2008

A thought re: Chinese Democracy

I logged-on to myspace today, and was kind of bombarded by hype about the impending release of the new record by Guns 'n Roses, Chinese Democracy. I just want to ask, who cares about this stuff? Does anybody? According to the band's myspace page, they've had over one million plays, so maybe the question is just rhetorical. Still, it's been sixteen years since their last record. It seems to me that their kind of music is marketed towards younger demographics. People who were "youth" when their last record came out are no longer young, at least age wise. Is Axl Rose counting on the current crop of teenagers to purchase his new offering? Can he depend on middle aged and thirty somethings for their hard earned cash, even in what seems to be a recession, after the d.i.y. movement? I guess we'll find out. I have a feeling I'll be listening to Celtic Frost or something, at least in order to fulfill any possible Metal jones.

2 comments:

Pig State Recon said...

CELTIC FROST's "Procreation (of the Wicked)" is a crowning achievement of '80s metal, imo.

Mark Pino On Drums said...

Dude, I even like Cold Lake! I was trying to figure out what sets 'em apart from the rest of Metal. Reed St. Mark' drumming? Warrior's eccentricity? They're just so DIFFERENT, 'cept for when they cop out and "mosh". Ugh.